Phishing is the attempt to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, and credit card details (and sometimes, indirectly, money) by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication.
I dumped some recent samples onto
You'll see plays on topics like
- target credit card breach
- linked in
- Job postings
- credit reports
- your bank
- UPS shipments
- FedEx shipments
- so many more....
Protecting yourself is simpler than you think. Here are some simple steps I recommend ...
- If you were not expecting the email be extra cautious
- even if you were expecting an email still check the basics below
- hover over the email or click reply and verify the sender is a legit address
- hover over or copy and paste links and verify they are legit
- better yet resist clicking on any link at all, instead manually type the URL you want and go to the site on your own terms
- don't open attachments, legit websites won't send them ... If you are waiting on something , manually go to the website , login, and check there
Also keep in mind the same topics are starting to apply to text messages too. Don't click on links.
What's the worst that could happen? Think ...
- virus on your PC
- virus on your phone
- identify theft
- stolen password
- stolen credit card
- bad bad things ...
Stay safe out there !
Copyright © 2014, this post cannot be reproduced or retransmitted in any form without reference to the original post.