Wednesday, August 3, 2016

What is www.dsply.com ?

I recently ran across a suspicious looking domain name in some SSL certificate traffic www.dsply.com and wondered if others had the same question. What is it? Below I do a little quick research to determine.



First I used a proxy method (urlquery or a lab, etc.) to navigate to the url and sure enough there is even a nice explanation explaining that it's a domain name used for cookie/customer tracking of users of the Answers.com website.



Being in security, I naturally don't trust what I see ... so I wanted to confirm this (because any Joe Blow could've put up this splash page claiming to be affiliated with Answers.com). So I navigated to Answers.com in chrome and ran developer tools.



In developer tools under Network I looked, and sure enough there is a script call to www.dsply.com so unless somebody has hacked Answers.com or my browser , it's safe for me to assume that www.dsply.com is a legit domain used by Answers.com to track it's users. Some sorta master tracking cookie.



Now whether you choose to block this cookie or not is more of a privacy issue, but I don't believe it's a security risk/hacked domain or anything like that. Thus you can move on and look at something else now :-)

More about neonprimetime


Top Blogs of all-time
  1. pagerank botnet sql injection walk-thru
  2. DOM XSS 101 Walk-Through
  3. An Invoice email and a Hot mess of Java


Top Github Contributions
  1. Qualys Scantronitor 2.0


Copyright © 2016, this post cannot be reproduced or retransmitted in any form without reference to the original post.

No comments:

Post a Comment